Our recipe for these dark, chewy, crunchy, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free no-cook brownies consists of just a handful of ingredients, all of them raw and unprocessed.
You can learn more about the authors of this recipe, Nina and Jackie, from our Extraordinary Expats feature on them!
120 g (1 1/3 c) walnuts
100 g (2/3 c) almonds
2 tbsp hazelnuts
125 g (1 c) medjool dates, or pre-soaked dry dates
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tbsp carob powder
1. Pulse half of the walnuts in a blender until they are in small pieces, about the size of a pea. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside.
3. Put the rest of the walnuts, the almonds and hazelnuts into the blender and pulse until finely ground.
4. Add dates, cocoa and carob and pulse briefly until all is combined.
5. Add small walnut pieces back to mixture and mix with a spoon until well combined.
6. Press into a small square or rectangular dish with a flat spatula, until evenly spread. The brownies should be at least 1.5cm thick, so if your dish is large you can just use half of it.
7. Cover and chill in the freezer for two hours, then take out, cut up into small squares and serve alone or with a hot fudge sauce.
8. Refrigerate leftover brownies in a sealed box.
Preparation: 10 min (plus 8 hrs soaking time, plus 2 hrs chilling time) | Cooking time: – min | Servings: 20
I like these brownies chewy and I have found that the best way to make them is to put them in the freezer for about two hours and then eat them straight away. They can also be refrigerated, but they will be slightly softer. If you eave them in the freezer for more then a couple of hours, let them stand at room temperature for a short while before serving.
Use a food processor to process your ingredients for best results.
Like this recipe? Visit Jackie and Nina’s wonderful site, www.littlefoodies.se for more!