If you missed Spanish national day yesterday, it’s not too late to add a Castillian flavour to your weekend with Spain’s national dish: Paella!
Nothing says Spain like a paella! If the Swedish weather prevents you from cooking this rice dish outside over a wood fire, the hob will do, but make sure you wash this down with a good bottle of Spanish red.
4 tablespoons olive oil
450g chicken, cut into small pieces
2 Spanish onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon paprika
350g risotto rice
3 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
2 handfuls frozen peas
1.75l chicken stock
1 sprig rosemary
1 large pinch saffron threads, finely crushed
400g raw, de-veined large prawns
- Heat oil in a 40cm paella dish. Add chicken and cook for about 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add onions and garlic and fry for 5 minutes, then stir in paprika followed by rice. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir tomatoes and red pepper into paella with stock, rosemary and some salt and pepper.
- Dissolve saffron in 2 tablespoons stock, then add to paella. Boil for 8-10 minutes.
- Scatter prawns and peas into paella. Gradually turn down heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- Cover, remove from heat and leave for 5-10 minutes, then serve.