Forget Mårtengås – this Polish recipe for succulent duck and apples served with potatoes (cooked in the duck fat, natch) is a winner for dinner this month. Enjoy!
2kg duck, with giblets removed
2 medium apples, washed, peeled, cored and chopped small
2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper
1kg small potatoes
- Preheat oven to 240ºC.
- Rinse the duck with water and pat dry. Stuff the cavity with the apple chunks. Rub the skin well with the marjoram, garlic, salt and pepper. Place on a large plate, cover and leave for 45 minutes to marinate.
- Place the duck in a roasting tray. Collect any marinade left in the plate, and add some more water to make up 1 cup of liquid. Pour this liquid around the duck in the roasting tray (not over it or you will wash off the marinade).
- Roast the duck uncovered for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 165ºC and bake for 2 hours. Every 30 minutes or so, use a fine skewer to pierce the duck skin with holes to release its juices and then baste the duck with the liquid that collects in the bottom of the pan.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into halves or quarters (there is no need to peel them). When the duck still has about 1 hour to cook, salt the potatoes, place them in the tray with the duck. They should start to fry gently in the duck fat. When you next baste the duck, turn the potatoes, making sure they are well covered with the duck juices.
- The duck should be so well cooked that it can be easily pulled apart and served in chunks.
Serve with fasolka szparagowa z bulka tarta: green beans with breadcrumbs
1 kg fresh green beans (trimmed)
2 tsp butter
1 clove garlic grated (optional)
3-4 tbsp bread crumbs
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil or steam green beans until desired tenderness. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the garlic and bread crumbs and toast, stirring frequently, until garlic is fragrant. Add green beans and stir to evenly coat them with the garlic and bread crumbs.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parmesan.