This is a very quick and easy recipe for cookies that came originally from Frankfurt. Each Bethmännchen originally has three almonds round the sides, but in our house we keep it simple and the children just pop one on top!
100g Almonds, blanched and skinned
150g Icing Sugar
200g Almond flour
1 tsp Starch flour
1 Egg, separated
1 tbsp Cold water
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Mix the icing sugar, the starch flour and the almond flour together in a bowl. Add the egg white to the mixture and stir in well. Then knead the dough with your hands until it gets firm and shiny. Form into little balls and put them on a baking tray.
- Decorate them with the almonds, usually three placed vertically around the sides.
- Mix the egg yolk with the water and brush the biscuits with it.
- Bake them for around 15min until they have a nice golden glaze.