4 May 2024
Community
Family Sports and Fitness Swedish Culture Tourist Information What's on: Stockholm

Get your skates on – Stockholm!

In Sweden they say that ‘there is no bad weather – just bad clothes’ so get off the couch, get your greatcoat on – and pick up your skates on your way out! There are several great parks in the Stockholm area with ice skating rinks (some also rent out skates) and we’ve gathered a […]

Read More
Expat Cookbook Swedish Culture

Recipe of the Week: Prinsesstårta (Princess Cake)

Anyone who knows ANYTHING about Swedish cakes knows that there is one cake in particular that Swedes are passionate about. That’s right, people, I am talking Prinsesstårta or Princess Cake. It’s a kind of “one cake to rule them all” situation, really. The recipe is believed to originate from the 1930s and was originally called […]

Read More
Community Shopping

Life is Swede: a blog that turned ebook

For six months last year, I blogged as a fictional character. The idea – inspired by Orson Welles’ War of the Worlds – was to create a fictional world that initially appeared authentic, so that people could step right in, interact with the characters, and almost become part of the story themselves. I’ve always been […]

Read More
Dating Expat Dating

YLC Review: Swedish Dating Sites

Love it or hate it, internet dating makes meeting people a lot simpler. There’s a cornucopia of variety quite literally at your fingertips. But it’s still a jungle out there. Choosing a dating site is sort of like choosing a club. So how do Swedish online dating sites differ? A study at the University of […]

Read More
Community Expat Dating What's on: Stockholm

Stockholm Diary: The Art of Speed Dating

Stockholmer Claire Duffy has vowed to try out as much as possible of what our city has to offer, whether one is looking for love, for thrills or just a jolly good time.

Read More
Expat Support General Counselling

Expat Counselling: The Art of International Friendships

In this month of Love and Friendship YLC’s mental health writer Lysanne Sizoo looks at the ways in which internationals connect with other, and how they can keep their friendships happy and healthy. The human need for social connection and friendship is deeply rooted. Some people experience it stronger than others. While some seem designed […]

Read More
Expat Cookbook Featured

Recipe of the Week: Chocolate Mousse

I’ve met people who don’t like chocolate and I often wonder how they manage to get through life without experiencing the velvety smoothness of a mousse as it slips across your tongue before making its way down your throat.  What could be more delightful?   This recipe comes from Switzerland and uses a combination of […]

Read More
Community Tourist Information Travel

Five Great Weekend Getaways near Stockholm

Pack your overnight bag and get ready for a weekend away from the hustle and bustle of the city! Here’s our favourite getaways near Stockholm! Few would argue that Stockholm is one of the most beautiful cities in the world –  but even the most dedicated city-dweller sometimes needs to get away from it all, […]

Read More
Community Expat Cookbook

Recipe of the Week: Spicy Pork & Chicken Birria

With our lives so busy – and getting busier all the time – one-pot cooking is the perfect solution when you want a delicious meal that satisfies your palate and frees up your time. This recipe fits the bill on both counts! I’m not going to lie to you – this one has a kick […]

Read More
Community What's on: Stockholm

What’s On and Where to Go: February

One month down and eleven more months of fun ahead of us! February isn’t just about Valentine’s Day – there’s a full calendar of events waiting for you! Stockholm Design Week Stockholm Design Week is dedicated to all the latest trends in Scandinavian Design – so here’s your chance to check out the latest in […]

Read More