7 May 2024
Community
Community Swedish Culture Tourist Information

Swedish Traditions: February – Flowers, Skiing and Fat Tuesday

Ah, February, month of love. Where better to celebrate Valentine’s than in Stockholm with its beauty and romance? If this is making you queasy, ignore the 14th and find a better reason to feel nauseous: overindulgence in semlor.  Those sweet buns stuffed with cream are the way that Swedes celebrate ‘Fettisdagen’ or Fat Day as it […]

Read More
Community Family Music Swedish Culture Tourist Information What's on: Stockholm

Why You Should Watch Melodifestivalen

Ah, Eurovision. The fun, the frocks, the fantastic spectacle. I remember watching it with my mum when I was 7, getting far too involved in the mayhem. I didn’t know about Melodifestivalen though, the build up to Eurovision in Sweden, where the nation’s representative is selected.

Read More
Community Extraordinary Expats

Extraordinary Expats: Kenny Stamatopoulos, AIK Goalkeeper

I’m married to a Spaniard, which means, amongst other things, that I know a lot about Spanish football and nothing of my native English football. Swedish football was just a dark mystery to me, so I was very happy to interview Kenny Stamatopoulos, goalkeeper for the Canadian national squad and Sweden’s own historic team: AIK. […]

Read More
Community Expat Cookbook

Recipe of the Week: Lamingtons

There is no fika bröd more Australian than the Lamington. A great idea for celebrating  Australia Day or any day for a fika with a difference.   Lamingtons are very popular in Australia as fundraiser produce for schools and sporting and youth clubs. So popular in fact, that the fundraisers have been dubbed the ‘Lamington […]

Read More
Community Expat Cookbook

Recipe of the Week: Meat Pie

You cannot have a Australian recipe month without the humble meat pie. This hand size meat and gravy filled pastry is so perfect that it’s even celebrated in Australian folk songs: ‘Meat pie and tomato sauce, same again for the second course’. The meat pie was described by former New South Wales Premier Bob Carr in […]

Read More
Community Expat Cookbook

Recipe of the Week: Cheesy Vegemite Twists

It is said that over 90% of Australian households have a jar of Vegemite in the pantry. I, for one, am surprised it’s not more but most of the rest of the world can’t understand why. Vegemite is a dark brown paste made from yeast extract left over from the production of beer. It is […]

Read More
Community Courses in English Creative Arts Education Expat Support Fashion & Beauty Lifestyle Music Networking Pregnancy & Baby Services Shopping Sports and Fitness Tourist Information What's on: Stockholm

Courses taught in English during 2013

If you are new in town, want to meet other international people, or just learn a new skill or take a class, here’s a list of courses taught in English happening in early 2013. For an English speaker in Stockholm, it can be hard to build the perfect social group. A great place to meet […]

Read More
Community Expat Cookbook

Recipe of the Week: Pavlova

The Pavlova was named after the Russian ballet dancer Anna Pavlova. It is said to be first made for her during her tour of Australasia in 1926, either because of her love of meringue or because the light, airy dessert reminded one of her beautiful dancing. Despite the fact that all Australians grow up believing this […]

Read More
Community Expat Cookbook

Recipe of the Week: Christmas – Baked French Toast (Canada)

We make this every Christmas. It’s great because you assemble everything the night before and bake it Christmas morning while the children are busy opening presents. Ingredients FRENCH TOAST Butter, to grease the pan 1 whole loaf crusty bread (a baguette would be great too) 8 eggs 475ml full fat milk 120ml heavy cream 125g white […]

Read More
Community Extraordinary Expats

Extraordinary Expats: Andy Foster, Founder of Language Exchange Stockholm

I originally wanted to interview Andy Foster for ‘Extraordinary Expats’ for his fantastic work founding and then building up the Language Exchange Stockholm group, featured earlier on Your Living City. When I contacted Andy, his son Lucas had been born 12 days earlier and it was clear that the whole family deserved the epithet. For […]

Read More