29 May 2024
The YLC Guide: Filing your Swedish Tax Return
Finance Starting a business Work & Money

The YLC Guide: Filing your Swedish Tax Return

Received a return from the Swedish Tax Authority? Don’t know what to do with it? Check out YLC’s lowdown on how to ensure you have the rebate in your account by midsummer!

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes,” said Bejamin Franklin and he hadn’t even experienced the Swedish taxation system. Yup, it’s that time of year again, where the letter that arrived weeks ago has been giving you a guilty conscience for days. Or maybe you’ve just heard Swedes griping and wondered what the big deal is. Whichever it is, here’s how it works:

Ok, so exactly who has to submit a tax return?

Well, in most cases, the Swedish Tax Authority (Skatteverket) is pretty clued up on who should be submitting a return and chances are that if you should – then the papers will have been sent to you.

If in doubt, the tax authority  does specify that you are liable to submit the tax return form (Inkomstdeklaration 1)  if you fulfil any of the following conditions:

  • have been resident in Sweden for the whole of 2013 and have had gainful earnings (e.g., salary, pension and income from active business activities) of SEK 18, 824 or more
  • have been resident in Sweden for part of the year and had an income of SEK 200 or more.
  • have had capital income of SEK 100 or more and tax has not been deducted on the entire amount. Capital income includes interest, dividends, capital profits, imputed income from housing deferrals and certain forms of rental income.
  • have received, from a close company or a partnership owned by a close company, dividends from, or profit from the sale of shares which shall be registered as income under “Tjänst” (Service).
— other compensation or benefits which shall be registered as income under “Tjänst” (Service).
  • have had income from passive business activities of a total of SEK 100 or more.
  • have owned a property (e.g., house, recreational property, plot of land) or part of a property on 1 January 2013.
  • have been ordered to submit an income tax return.

If you are still unsure –  call the help-line on 0771 – 567 567 or +46 8 564 851 60 from abroad.

So it does apply to me – what do I do?

Here’s the good news – in most cases the details on your tax return are already correct. It HAS been filled in by the tax authority and they generally know their way around taxes. But it is important to check that their estimate of your earnings match up with yours.

You check this through comparing the amounts printed on the form with the amounts sent out to you by your employer. A detailed guide to the subsections of the tax return can be found here.

If you don’t need to change or add any information, all that is left to do is to actually approve the tax return, which can be done online, by mobile phone, telephone or through a text message.

You’ll find the codes you need to approve the information at the top of the specification document, which you received along with your tax return form.

To approve your tax return electronically:

  • By phone — dial 020-567 100
  • Via text message — send an SMS to 71144
  • By app — use your smart phone or tablet  ​
  • Online — log in to the electronic income tax return on skatteverket.se​

For information films on how to approve your tax return electronically click here.

NOTE: if you submit your tax return electronically there is no need to send in any paper forms.


I see, but what if it’s not right or I want to make some deductions?

Should it turn out that information in your tax return is missing or needs to be amended – this is what you do:
To change anything on yor tax return you need to log in to the online service Inkomstdeklaration. In order to do this you need a bank e-ID, which is easily obtainable from your online banking services. Click here for a guide to what deductions can be made.


But what if I don’t want to approve it electronically?

One of those, eh? Well, of course you can use the paper form. Put pen to paper. Make your changes. Just don’t forget to sign the form before you submit it.


So, by when do I need to send this dratted thing in – and is there nothing good you can tell me about it?

Well, the tax return has to be approved through any of the ways mentioned above by the end of May 5th. Failing to approve the return in time will mean you might be liable to pay a fine of 1,000 SEK. And that’s no fun.  So just get it done.

Something good, eh? That’s easy – if you DO manage to approve the return in time for the deadline – whatever tax refund you are eligible for should be in your account before midsummer; no holding back on the old sill and schnapps this year!!*


*N.B. No taxes in the world will ensure fair weather during Swedish midsummer, but you can’t have everything

Source: Skatteverket

Featured Image: Kent Teegardin/SeniorLiving.Org/Flickr


  • Shameem Chowdhury 30 Oct 2013

    Hey there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us

    so I came to take a look. I’m definitely loving the information.

    I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

    Great blog and superb design and style.

  • jerry 9 Mar 2017

    can someone help me please?

    I got this

    Avdragen skatt enligt kontrolluppgifter… what does that mean?

    i have enskild firma… does that mean they are taking money cause my company is supposed to generate an income?

    or… does the Avdragen skatt enligt kontrolluppgifter would appear even if I didn’t have an enskild firma?

    • hi! This means that your employer has sent information regarding the amount of tax already deducted from your salary. So the kontrolluppgift is the number sent by the employer/employers regarding pre-paid tax.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.