23 Apr 2024
Community
Expat Cookbook Swedish Culture

Pepparkakor: The YLC lowdown

It’s the time of year to get baking! And what Christmas of glögg-party would be complete without these babies? At YLC we have searched far and wide for the best recipe EVER – just for YOU! Pepparkakor – also known as ginger snaps or ginger thins or ginger biscuits – have a rather long and […]

Read More
Community Family What's on: Kids

What’s on and Where to Go in Stockholm with Children: December

Christmas is magical with children and never more so than in Stockholm, where there’s a winter wonderland of fun to be had. Enjoy Christmas crafting, Santa spotting and… dog shows? Here’s Your Living City’s guide to enjoying Stockholm with children this month.

Read More
Family Activities Music Swedish Culture Tourist Information What's on: Stockholm

December Seasonal Concerts in Stockholm

December is packed with festivities from Advent to Lucia to Christmas; but never fear we will get you to the best places! Let us present to you the YLC guide to seasonal concerts in the city! May your December be filled with song! Lucia Concerts: Lucia at Skansen Djurgårdsslätten 49-51, 115 21 Stockholm Friday 13th […]

Read More
Expat Cookbook

Recipe of the week: Ciasto z malinami (raspberry cake)

Polish Independence Day was on the 11th November and we invite you to celebrate with YLC’s recipes from Poland this month!

Submitted by the wonderful Alina Pawlewicz

Read More
Community Expat Traditions

Thanksgiving Supplies in Stockholm

Running around like a headless… chicken to get everything ready for Thanksgiving? Never fear – YLC has got the info on where you can buy your turkey and all the standard trimmings for the big dinner. Get your Turkey Day on in Stockholm!

Read More
Networking Networking Starting a business Work & Money

Business Stockholm: Mr Chips with Everything

British businesswoman and extraordinary expat Lucy Robertshaw shares with YLC readers her experiences from the Swedish business sector – this month she met with expat entrepreneur Nick Chipperfield. I recently met Nick Chipperfield – a UK-expat of 14 years – for lunch on the beautiful island of Gamla Stan (the Old Town) in central Stockholm. […]

Read More
Community Expat Traditions

The YLC guide to a Stockholm Thanksgiving

YLC’s Amy Johansson on pilgrim selfies, potential potlucks and where to go if you are gagging for some pumpkin pie but find cooking just that little bit too much to stomach! I moved to Sweden two years – and two Thanksgivings – ago. Though I am mad for the winter holiday season in my new […]

Read More
Creative Arts Tourist Information What's on: Stockholm

English Theatre in Stockholm: The Cordelia Dream

There is nothing better on a dark November night than a dark drama – YLC’s Vanessa Le Grange went to see rehearsals of a new play in English opening in Stockholm. There’s something about November that has us either looking inward and hibernating or painting the town maroon in velvet and autumn chic. I imagine […]

Read More
Community Expat Support General Counselling Health Swedish Culture Work & Money

Expats and Mental Health: Two Scoops of Culture Shock

Ever feel like the sore thumb in Sweden? This week, YLC’s mental health expert, Lysanne Sizoo, discusses the difficulties associated with simultaneously adjusting to another culture and a new work environment abroad. Photo: Lena Granefelt/imagebank.sweden.se So you’ve found a job in Sweden, made the move, and started work. Grattis! If everything is going swimmingly, then […]

Read More
Expat Cookbook

Recipe of the week: kaczka pieczona z jabłkami (roast duck with apples)

Forget Mårtengås – this Polish recipe for succulent duck and apples served with potatoes (cooked in the duck fat, natch) is a winner for dinner this month. Enjoy!  

Read More