Home Work & Money Finance

Received a return from the Swedish Tax Authority? Don’t know what to do with it? Check out YLC’s lowdown on how to ensure you have the rebate in your account by midsummer!

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes,” said Bejamin Franklin and he hadn’t even experienced the Swedish taxation system. Yup, it’s that time of year again, where the letter that arrived weeks ago has been giving you a guilty conscience for days. Or maybe you’ve just heard Swedes griping and wondered what the big deal is. Whichever it is, here’s how it works:

Ok, so exactly who has to submit a tax return?

Well, in most cases, the Swedish Tax Authority (Skatteverket) is pretty clued up on who should be submitting a return and chances are that if you should – then the papers will have been sent to you.

If in doubt, the tax authority  does specify that you are liable to submit the tax return form (Inkomstdeklaration 1)  if you fulfil any of the following conditions:

  • have been resident in Sweden for the whole of 2013 and have had gainful earnings (e.g., salary, pension and income from active business activities) of SEK 18, 824 or more
  • have been resident in Sweden for part of the year and had an income of SEK 200 or more.
  • have had capital income of SEK 100 or more and tax has not been deducted on the entire amount. Capital income includes interest, dividends, capital profits, imputed income from housing deferrals and certain forms of rental income.
  • have received, from a close company or a partnership owned by a close company, dividends from, or profit from the sale of shares which shall be registered as income under “Tjänst” (Service).
— other compensation or benefits which shall be registered as income under “Tjänst” (Service).
  • have had income from passive business activities of a total of SEK 100 or more.
  • have owned a property (e.g., house, recreational property, plot of land) or part of a property on 1 January 2013.
  • have been ordered to submit an income tax return.

If you are still unsure –  call the help-line on 0771 – 567 567 or +46 8 564 851 60 from abroad.

So it does apply to me – what do I do?

Here’s the good news – in most cases the details on your tax return are already correct. It HAS been filled in by the tax authority and they generally know their way around taxes. But it is important to check that their estimate of your earnings match up with yours.

You check this through comparing the amounts printed on the form with the amounts sent out to you by your employer. A detailed guide to the subsections of the tax return can be found here.

If you don’t need to change or add any information, all that is left to do is to actually approve the tax return, which can be done online, by mobile phone, telephone or through a text message.

You’ll find the codes you need to approve the information at the top of the specification document, which you received along with your tax return form.

To approve your tax return electronically:

  • By phone — dial 020-567 100
  • Via text message — send an SMS to 71144
  • By app — use your smart phone or tablet  ​
  • Online — log in to the electronic income tax return on skatteverket.se​

For information films on how to approve your tax return electronically click here.

NOTE: if you submit your tax return electronically there is no need to send in any paper forms.


I see, but what if it’s not right or I want to make some deductions?

Should it turn out that information in your tax return is missing or needs to be amended – this is what you do:
To change anything on yor tax return you need to log in to the online service Inkomstdeklaration. In order to do this you need a bank e-ID, which is easily obtainable from your online banking services. Click here for a guide to what deductions can be made.


But what if I don’t want to approve it electronically?

One of those, eh? Well, of course you can use the paper form. Put pen to paper. Make your changes. Just don’t forget to sign the form before you submit it.


So, by when do I need to send this dratted thing in – and is there nothing good you can tell me about it?

Well, the tax return has to be approved through any of the ways mentioned above by the end of May 5th. Failing to approve the return in time will mean you might be liable to pay a fine of 1,000 SEK. And that’s no fun.  So just get it done.

Something good, eh? That’s easy – if you DO manage to approve the return in time for the deadline – whatever tax refund you are eligible for should be in your account before midsummer; no holding back on the old sill and schnapps this year!!*


*N.B. No taxes in the world will ensure fair weather during Swedish midsummer, but you can’t have everything

Source: Skatteverket

Featured Image: Kent Teegardin/SeniorLiving.Org/Flickr

If you need to send money to your home country or elsewhere abroad, let UKForex take care of your currency transfers and save you time and money. YLC has negotiated a further benefit for you – no transaction fees!

As expats, we often need to use the foreign exchange market at some point, whether its meeting financial commitments back home, sending small monetary gifts to family or keeping up with mortgage payments on that holiday home (we wish!). Since its launch in 2005, UKForex has grown to be one of the world’s largest online foreign exchange companies; an unsurprising phenomenon since they offer fantastic rates and peace of mind. YLC is partnering with them to ensure that you, the readers, save money on foreign currency transfers.

UKForex Logo


Why should I use UKForex?

Better rates than banks Before making a currency transfer, check our exchange rates and then compare these against your bank’s rates. Depending on the size of the transaction, we can save you hundreds, sometimes thousands, of pounds!


NO fees 
Typically, if your transfer falls below £3,000 then you will be charged a fee. Not so for YLC readers! No fees will apply.


Peace of mind
UKForex is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for the provision of payment services. UKForex is also regulated by HMRC.


UKForex also provides 24-hour access, quick delivery of funds and is safe and easy. So what are you waiting for?

Register today!



This article is sponsored by ForexUK

Sweden has one of the most generous parental leave (föräldraledighet) systems in the world. Parents are given 480 days of leave per child, and 420 of these days are paid at a rate of 80% of your salary up to a capped limited of 910 SEK a day.

If you are coming from the USA, where companies usually give between 14 to 90 days of mostly unpaid maternity leave, you might be thinking you are in ‘maternity-leave-heaven’. Well the truth of the matter is, you are!

As a new mum, I have learned that although the benefits are fantastic, it is not easy navigating through Försäkringskassan’s (the authority that handles parental leave benefits) rules and regulations. The system is seemingly based on a combination of strict rules and very loose guidelines. This is a combination that can leave one confused, irritated and on the phone to Försäkringskassan on almost a weekly basis.

But what does this mean for you? Well it means that as long as your case is 100% straight forward things will generally move along with great efficiency and ease. But if your parents leave claim lands in one of the many grey areas, things start to become much more complicated.

So first let’s cover the basics.

Parental Leave Basics:

Who’s eligible for parent leave?

To be eligible for basic benefits (180 SEK a day for 480 days) you must be a legal resident of Sweden

Who pays for parent leave?

Your employer does not cover the cost of your parent leave benefit, instead the Swedish Social Insurance Administration (Försäkringskassan) pays out the benefits.

Language you should be aware of:

  • Parental  leave: föräldraledighet
  • Maternity leave: mammaledighet
  • Paternity leave: pappaledighet

How many days will I get?

How many parent leave days are you entitled to?

Parents are entitled to 480 days of parent leave for each child. If you have twins you are entitled to an additional 180 days.

How are these days divided between parents?

Parents are encouraged to split these days equally between them.  If you do this, you will be entitled to an additional equality bonus.

However, it is possible for one parent to take up to 420 days of the 480 days. To do this the other parent has to ‘give these days’ to the other parent.

The only exception to this rule is for single parents with sole custody. In these cases, the parent can take all 480 days leave.

Can both parents take parent leave at the same time:

Yes. During the first 3 months of the new baby’s life, the father is entitled to be home for 10 days. These days are in addition to the 480 parent days.

In addition to these first 10 days, both parents are able to be home together for 30 days during your child’s first year. These are called ‘double days’ because you get 2 days of parent leave deducted – one day for each parent.

Can an employer deny parental leave?

No. Parental leave is a legal right for all parents in Sweden. This means a company cannot deny your request for leave for any reason. Companies, in addition to the 480 parent leave days per child, are also entitled to allow you to reduce your working hours by an additional 25%.

Note: You can reduce your working hours up to 25% even if your parental leave days have been used up, however, you will not be compensated for these reduced working hours.

Let’s Talk Money

How much money?

Now things start getting much more complicated. Your parental leave payment really depends on your personal circumstances, your immigration status, the amount of days you have been living and/or working in Sweden, your salary, and whether you have been working for the last 240 days.

Basic Level of Benefit (even if you have not worked in Sweden)

As long as you are a legal resident of Sweden you are entitled to the basic parental leave payment which is 180 SEK a day. This means you are eligible even if you have not been earning money in Sweden prior to your child’s birth. However, if you receiving parental benefits from other countries, this amount will be docked from your Swedish benefit.

Parent leave payment range:

If you are a legal resident of Sweden, have been legally working here for the last 240 days then in most cases you will be entitled to 80% of your salary for the first 420 days of your parent leave. The maximum daily payment is capped at 910 SEK a day.

Here’s a graph that shows the estimated payment amounts for various salaries and days taken per week.

When will you get paid:

Parent Benefits are paid out between the 25th & 27th of the month.

Can I work while on parent leave?

Working while taking parent leave:

A person cannot work full-time and also take parent leave benefits. However, you can work part-time and take parental leave the rest of the time.

How can parent Benefits be paid out:

Parental benefits can be paid out for full days, half days or even one-eighth of a day.

Parents can also get state compensation when they need to take time off work to look after a sick child. This is valid for parents of children up to 12, and sometimes for children up to 16, depending on the circumstances.

Contacting Försäkringskassan

How to get in touch with Försäkringskassan:

To claim your benefits and to find out how much you are entitled to in your particular circumstances, contact your local branch of Försäkringskassan.

You can reach their Kundcenter at 0771524524

Information in English: www.forsakringskassan.se/sprak/eng

Story by Morgan Erickson

Research done by Carmel Heiland